Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Love Song for the Road Cyclist

There's so much hype about cycling on footpaths. Pedestrians and motorists alike complain about the position of the cyclist. Some errant motorists have even come out to publicly thrash that cyclists have no right-of-way on the roads. Thanks to their impatience, lack of education, lack of social grace and understanding, and absolute lack of human respect. I'm compelled to plead motorists to SHARE the roads with other road users - and this includes cyclists, pedestrians, and our mobility-challenged friends.

This song, sung to the tune of Elton John's 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word', was written by me while I was in a cab on my way back to the office.

SHARING SEEMS TO BE THE HARDEST WORD

What did I just do to make you honk me?
What did I just do to make you curse?
What do I do when drivers cut me,
when I get squeezed like I'm not there.

What do I do to make you want me?
What have I got to do to be heard?
What do I say when it gets ugly?
When SHARING seems to be the hardest word.

It's sad, so sad
It's a sad, sad situation
And it's getting more and more absurd
It's sad, so sad
Why can't we talk it over
Oh it seems to me
That SHARING seems to be the hardest word

What did I just do to make you honk me?
What have I got to do to be heard?
What can I do when drivers cut me?
What have I got to do?
What have I got to do?
When SHARING seems to be the hardest word.

1 comment:

Ivan Chew said...

You should write to the music publisher and ask for permission to use the melody to make into a song, to be spread as a meme among Singaporean bicyclists! :)